[MUD-Dev] Crunch time

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Thu Aug 7 07:54:59 CEST 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Damion Schubert wrote:

> I know of many programmers who would disagree - and I'm one of
> them (when I code).  I do a much better job at implementation if I
> do it in large crunchy bursts, and off-hours work is usually
> better for the really big system coding or design since you're
> less likely to be interrupted (meetings are rarely planned for
> crunch hours).

Definitely agreed. I know I have a very hard time coding during the
day due to phone calls and just the day-to-day work of running
virtual worlds.

> I grant that not everyone is biologically set up to work like
> that.  Maybe it's related to the fact that my most creative times
> are at night.

Mine too. I think it's less the actual distractions and more the
fear of impending distraction that stops me from getting more done
creatively during the day. I feel constantly tense until about 6 pm
Pacific time that the phone may ring, and I also feel much more
obligated to answer player messages and e-mail during the day.

--matt
There is no acceptable excuse for opposing gay marriage.