[MUD-Dev] Mapping real money into MUD money

Katie Lukas katie at stickydata.com
Sat Aug 9 11:08:38 CEST 2003

[Alex Chacha wrote]

> Recently I read (on Slashdot) that some MMORPG people were
> thinking about mapping real money into MUD money and possibly vice
> versa.  A MUD or MMORPG would act almost like an arcade where you
> buy tokens to play and can redeem them for real life items (or in
> MUD/MMORPG world possibly relics and super rare items) .

Project Entropia has attempted to do just this, with no overwhelming
success thus far (the population remains fairly low, and post-launch
marketing has not been widely accomplished.)
http://www.mindark.com/

Julian Dibbell also has an excellent site about the translation of
virtual economic systems into cold hard cash, which he (and others)
do as a living.  http://www.juliandibbell.com/

Other games, notably SWG, have attempted to avoid the Ebaying of
game-related items by instituting internal mechanisms to accomplish
the kinds of buying, selling, and trading that typically takes place
out of the game - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, after all.