[MUD-Dev] Java or LPC (DGD)?

Ben Chambers bjchamb at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 10 01:18:44 CEST 2003

I know both well, and have arguments both ways.  Which language would be
better to use when developing a MUD from scratch?

  Java

    + Open Source Tools available (especially JUnit, for testing)
    + Common Language with more easily available support
    -  Less support available explicitly for MUDs
    + Library already includes Web Server and a Random Number
    Generator that supports normally distributed numbers (something
    I would have to add to LPC one way or another)
    + Better syntax for objects (in my opinion, the C++/Java object
    system is much cleaner than the one used in LPC)
    - Possibly slower?

  LPC

    + Designed explicitly for a MUD Server
    + Gives persistence for free
    - Not as supported in general, although more resources are
    available for MUD design.
    + Possibly Faster?

Are there any points for either of the two that I missed?  Which of
the points that I put in there aren't really significant?  Which
language would you recommend?

-- Ben