[MUD-Dev] Java or LPC (DGD)?

Torgny Bjers artovil at arcanerealms.org
Mon Aug 11 23:01:53 CEST 2003

From: Ben Chambers

> I know both well, and have arguments both ways.  Which language
> would be better to use when developing a MUD from scratch?

I would say that it's really a matter of taste when it comes to what
kind of coding flavor you chose when developing a MUD.  I think the
main thing with Java is to make sure that you have a hefty processor
and lots of RAM and keep an eye on memory, properly coded and
maintained it won't be any slower than C or C++.  Unless you are
designing a MUD for thousands of concurrent connections, that
shouldn't be a major problem in any event.

The main feat of LPC, in my book, is the ability to handle vast
amounts of players with relatively limited resources.  That's
something Java will not do for you just as easily.

> Are there any points for either of the two that I missed?  Which
> of the points that I put in there aren't really significant?
> Which language would you recommend?

Have you considered licensing issues?  If you are developing a
commercial MUD, you will probably need to contact Skotos for a
commercial license of LPC.  That you will not have to do with Java
in the same respect.

For more information about DGD, I found this post from Christopher
Allen in the list archives:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q2/msg00176.php

--
{ IRL(Torgny_Bjers); PGP(B005407CF39C5DCE2550533241042EEFAAD5F85E);
SMTP(artovil at arcanerealms.org); GSM(+46732141741); ICQ(1351531);