[MUD-Dev] PHP muds

Torgny Bjers artovil at arcanerealms.org
Tue Aug 12 16:49:40 CEST 2003

From: Peter Harkins

> A lot of muds use PHP to create websites that tie-in closely to
> their game.  The established mud I code on (with Ammon,
> http://simud.org) has some nice examples. Besides the online
> wholist and helpfiles, the game's bug/idea/typo commands post to
> our forums for discussion by players and wizards (using their game
> logins). Wizards can browse and edit files (source is even
> colorized, which makes it easier to read than the in-game editor).

Our CircleMUD runs with MySQL as a backend, which means that it's
dead easy to integrate it with PHP and other scripting languages.
Our current setup features extensive statistical and informational
functions, mostly for use in world building.  Builders can log into
the members' section of the webpage and from there review various
aspects of the mud zones.  Some of these features include graphs for
undescribed objects, rooms, and mobiles; graphs for object types;
in-depth server usage and load statistics; as well as a web-based
room editor with built-in spellchecker and a rudimentary
navigational system to traverse rooms through the browser.  Admins
can edit tip messages, socials, text/lib messages, as well as the
entire site through the administration interface.

Our forums currently run on phpBB, although I am about a week away
from completing a new dynamic board system that fully integrates web
and mud.

User rights and permissions are used both on the website and inside
the mud, making it easy to give admins and builders special
permissions in the member/admin sections of the site.

If anybody is particularly interested in such a setup, send me an
email off-list and I'll consider releasing the code.

Warm Regards,
Torgny Bjers

--
{ IRL(Torgny_Bjers); PGP(B005407CF39C5DCE2550533241042EEFAAD5F85E);
SMTP(artovil at arcanerealms.org); GSM(+46732141741); ICQ(1351531);