[MUD-Dev] Using Windows Scripting Host

F. Randall Farmer randy.farmer at pobox.com
Fri Aug 15 10:47:11 CEST 2003

From: Owen Matt

> which parts of the engine go in the driver EXE and which parts
> should be script files.

> Has anyone had any experience with something like this, and can
> offer a few pointers?

This is where I live. :-) Over a dozen graphical-mud style
(client-server) projects I have worked on have this sort of
core-code/scripting split. These inlude: Lucasfilm's Habitat (and
it's 8 or so descendants), Communities.com's Microcosm and The
Palace, and The Sims Online (barely), to name a few. :-)

The most effective split I've found is: Put object behavior
(including application messaging) in scripts and put
display/network/DB/UI features in core. This rule generalized for
both the client and server gave us maximum dynamic update
capabilities (without large patches). In the case of TSO, this split
is not as rigorous, and therefore every change requires a patch.

For a clientless application like a text-based mud; your mileage may
vary.

Randy