[MUD-Dev] Java or LPC (DGD)?

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Sun Aug 17 04:26:39 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:01:53PM +0200, Torgny Bjers wrote:

> Have you considered licensing issues?  If you are developing a
> commercial MUD, you will probably need to contact Skotos for a
> commercial license of LPC.  That you will not have to do with Java
> in the same respect.

Jumped into the discussion late, but if you want to use LPC and are
concerned with the licensing issues, you might consider using Pike
instead.  It is very similar to LPC in that it is very dynamic, but
it is more modern, extensible in the style of Perl, and the license
does not have a EULA clause in it like Amylaar LPMud does. :(

I have a MUD that I hack off and on using Pike; it uses PostgreSQL
as a database backend for a persistent world, I also implemented
some nifty things like a database VFS, separated the telnet driver
from the object/world code so that a different frontend could
potentially be used in the future (think a UO-style tile-based
client).

It was the first time I used Pike but my impression of it is a very
good one, and I don't feel that I lost much leaving LPC behind.
(And seeing the Pike "master object" makes me feel at home
somehow...) :)

Just my 2c,

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253