[MUD-Dev] When Will Player-Avatar Integrity Be a Feature of Persistent Worlds?

Craig H Fry craigfry at iname.com
Wed Aug 20 15:41:57 CEST 2003

To answer your question is short:

  When the game company reveals the identity of the person behind
  the avatar for anyone to see.  People who play MMO's play with a
  mask of anonymity (liken to road rage). When a person wears this
  mask they reveal who they really are inside.  I'm sure studies
  have been done on this.  If someone is fundamentally a bad egg,
  that mask will allow them to reveal that in-game because they know
  there can be no real repercussion for what they say or do.  People
  who are fundamently good show their colors also.  Like your
  guildmate.

It's a sad fact, but one we must live with.