[MUD-Dev] Examine/Look

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Thu Aug 21 11:11:24 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 01:55 AM, Elia Morling wrote:

> Is there a standard for the order of examine/look? For example
> with syntax: look ring ;look 2.ring ;look 3.ring etc.

> In some muds the order is: equipment, inventory, room Others I've
> seen go: room, inventory, equipment

I don't think there's a standard for this one. Advanced muds also
allow more possibilities in specifying the object(s) to look at:

  look at all blue rings

  look at the rings here

  look at my second ring, all drawn weapons and the vial in the box
  on the table.

> Some muds also make a distinction between examine and look. Is
> there a standard in their meaning?

Usually 'look' is superficial look, whereas 'examine' implies a
detailed examination, and possibly more details:

   > look sign
   The sign points to the east, reading "Here be dragons!"
   > examine sign
   The sign points to the east, reading "Here be dragons!"
   Under the legend, somebody wrote "Haha, just kidding." in really
   small letters.

However, in many amateur muds the lack of quality control blurs the
line between examine and look:

   > look sign
   A sign is used to give directions. Why don't you "examine" it?
   > examine sign
   This was once a sign post, but it has fallen into disrepair and
   no longer gives useful directions.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
GPG Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/lars-duening.gpgkey