[MUD-Dev] MUD using the .net framework

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Aug 26 15:38:28 CEST 2003

Norman Beresford writes:

> I was wondering if people knew of any MUDs using the Microsoft
> .net framework, especially ones where the source code was
> available?  I've done lots of google searches and the results seem
> to throw up a lot of 404's or .net being mentioned in passing by
> VB based MUDs (ie Wheel Mud).

I can't offer much in the way of MUD code, but I've been converting
a variety of my own graphical game software from C++ to C#.  In C#'s
favor is simplicity and clarity.  I can just write code and not
worry about lots of conventions and bizarre constructs.  Everything
is a component - including the GDI stuff.  Against C# is
performance.  These are early experiences for me, but I noticed that
the performance of a rather memory intense algorithm dropped by
about half.  Lots of component creations and deletions, meaning lots
of use of the .NET garbage collector.  A rather large memory
footprint as well, but a teensy, tinsy executable file, which makes
distribution a snap.

I enjoy using C#, but I suspect that there's a brand new learning
curve in getting certain types of software to perform well.

I'd kill for a good performance and coverage analysis tool.  Anybody
know of a good one?  The last I worked with was
Microsoft-proprietary.

JB