[MUD-Dev] Virtual property lawsuit in China

Vladimir Cole vladimir_cole at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 02:44:31 CEST 2003

>From Raph Koster:

> http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_812039.html?menu=news.quirkies

> A computer gamer is taking a software firm to court after he
> suddenly lost all of his virtual weapons.

I remember Brad McQuaid's argument (on this list) against companies
supporting or even allowing commerce involving in-game objects was
that it exposes a company to liability. As soon as a developer
acknowledges that in-game items have value, the developer opens
himself to liability suits every time an item must be nerfed, a
server rebuilt, or an account banned.

To put it another way, as soon as you allow in-game objects to have
out-of-game value, you are no longer a game designer but a central
bank for your game's economy. You'll have to behave in a consistent,
defensible, central-bank manner or the citizens under your rule will
complain loudly (best case) or take you to court (worst case).

Of course, the wizards of law can probably concoct a EULA that will
protect you from such lawsuits, but they can't protect you from
disgruntled customers who will relocate to a game with a more
responsible central bank that will protect their valuable properties
and investments from capricious or careless devaluation.

"Stable, predictable economy" will be a feature set for people who
plan to make a living online.

  http://www.juliandibbell.com/playmoney/index.html

- v