Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Jan 1 07:04:23 CET 2003

From: "Rayzam" <rayzam at travellingbard.com>

>   Actually, I disagree with the common assertion being made that
>   SCS ruins the casual player. I have seen the casual player leave
>   games because the average player requires muling or joining a
>   guild, to survive.

I personally choose not to play such games in the first place.

I like to let games percolate for a few months before I play them,
and during that time I read player web sites. Most of the time, I
can rapidly find a few web sites that belong to people that sound
sensible; if those players start bitching and whining about the
rampant online cheating and worthless PK rules and complete failure
of an online economy, I don't play the game. If it's hard to find
sensible people, then I don't play the game.

Essentially, I don't want to play a game which is either distressing
to sensible players or populated mostly by idiots. I don't care
whether it's SCS/MCS. The people who do care are, IMO, skating on
the edge of being idiots. Each MMOG is a different game; nobody
complains that pong is superior to breakout because there are more
paddles on the screen. These aspects make a game *different*, not
"better". The question of "better" is much more complicated than how
many characters you get.

Remember when you were a little kid, and someone would try to argue
that a nickel was better than a dime because it was bigger? That's
pretty much what I think of the SCS/MCS argument -- MCS is bigger,
so it must be better.  Well, if SCS is a penny, you're right... but
if SCS is a dime, you're not.

Eventually, someone will develop a quarter, and the whole question
will disappear.