Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Wed Jan 1 22:23:39 CET 2003

[ Caliban Tiresias Darklock]

>> Well, my specific angle was on what is needed to grow the MMOG
>> market.  In that case the question of "What do people
>> want/avoid?"  is quite valid.

> I'm confused. What does that have to do with anything?

The topic had subtly changed from "Growing the Market" to "Them Damn
Complainers!" I was just supporting my line of argument against the
rising tide of "Who cares about the people screaming 'We won't buy
it!'"  comments.

> I've always viewed a "griefer" as someone who is actively
> attempting to disrupt other people's play. I don't think a
> protester is necessarily more likely to harass and annoy people as
> an aim in itself, but I *do* think he's more likely to harass and
> annoy others as an incidental side effect of his other actions. If
> someone is quick to argue with others even when he doesn't have a
> good reason, isn't he generally going to end up being a big pain
> in the ass?

Perhaps, if it's an issue of wanton childishness on behalf of the
protester. I just take comfort in the fact that most users don't
participate in community forums and most participants don't engage
in such silly behavior.

So, your problem children are a minority of a minority! ;)

-Marc