Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 2 06:44:43 CET 2003

From: "Lars Duening" <lars at bearnip.com>
> Amanda Walker wrote:

>> I never quite understood the mindset.  If I don't like something,
>> I simply don't buy it.  I don't waste my time arguing with the
>> manufacturer about their business.

> It's probably this quaint notion of demand and supply.

The developer in me understands the frustration with customers who
won't put up or shut up.  The architect in me is intrigued by their
suggestions and runs off to examine my design assumptions.  The
businessman in me cringes to think of turning away free market
research from the customers I risked & spent so much to convert.

But I agree with the principle if not the execution of Amanda's
point - a company needs to stay focused on its core competency.  And
this has to be balanced with what the "market" (demographics really)
are telling us, and with what our competitors are doing while we're
making our own value judgements.  Sometimes it is a wise move to let
a competitor chase off in a direction we've fully examined and know
to be a dry hole.  Yet at the same time we have to re-examine our
earlier assumptions to see if maybe that competitor is on to a trend
we have missed.

  "And you tell this to the young developers of today and they just
  don't believe you..." ;)

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"