Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Jan 2 22:17:43 CET 2003

On Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 02:55  AM, Marc Fielding wrote:

> Then we're mostly in agreement. I feel the process won't scale
> until there are a large enough number of roleplayers to support a
> commercial MMOG.

Ah, back to an old tangent.  Why is roleplaying important?  At all?

The most fun I ever had on a text MUD was one with no RPGing, no
levels, no loot.  It wasn't even a little niche MUD, it was
LambdaMOO.

I don't think that roleplaying per se is a necessary aspect of
immersion, engagement, etc.  I think this is best illustrated by the
current crop of popular MMOGs.  In years of playing AC, and months
of playing EQ and AO, I have literally never run into in-game
roleplaying (beyond the game mechanics).  Not once.  It seems pretty
clear to me that whatever people are finding engaging about MMOGs,
it doesn't seem to be the opportunity for roleplay per se.

Amanda Walker