[MUD-Dev] EthernalQuest

Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 06:43:21 CET 2003

From: "Valerio Santinelli" <tanis at mediacom.it>

> I can't recall anyone talking about EthernalQuest, the EverQuest
> unofficial server emulator (http://www.ethernalquest.com/).  As of
> now the v0.6.x serie is becoming playable and the first servers
> are popping up around the world. I wonder how Sony is going to
> react to this trend that is going to be much similar to the one
> rised with UO.

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up!  The other emu project I'm
following is COAD but I'm starting to think these guys lack the
werewithal to really come through.

If Sony is wise they'll react with the same attitude of watchful but
benign neglect.  People are buying UO boxes simply to play the
emus... some revenue is still better than none, and there are an
interesting number of people who go on to pay the subscribership to
see what it's like to have a community of a few thousand with
professional support/events.

Central MOG publishers have badly interpreted this trend and are
missing a fantastic opportunity to widen the headwaters of their
revenue stream.

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"