Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Mon Jan 6 16:35:21 CET 2003

From: "Caliban Tiresias Darklock"
> From: "Marc Fielding"

>> Another way would be to simply charge for additional characters
>> in an MCS system. Resource costs are covered and casual users are
>> unaffected.

> But that's exactly what an SCS system is -- if you want a second
> character on the same server, you buy a second account. I know
> that's more expensive than you personally prefer, but a character
> is a character. You pay, initially, for the ability to play one
> character. If you want the ability to play two, then you should
> pay twice as much. The game doesn't differentiate between
> characters owned by different players and characters owned by the
> same player, and it shouldn't. The accounting department
> shouldn't, either.

See, now this actually makes perfect sense to me.  If the cost is
per-character, then it should apply equally to MCS or SCS.  You want
a second character, pay for it, whether that character is on the
same server as another one or not.

If the cost is not per-character, then any amount of hoo-hah about
technical limitations and business decisions is irrelevant, and
should be left out of any discussion about the reasons you made that
unpopular decision.

> I'm curious as to your definition of a "casual gamer" and your
> explanation of how SCS impacts such a player.

My other post on the subject covers this fairly well, I think, so I
won't go into a lot of detail here, other than to say this:

The "casual gamer" in this case is the one who wasn't causing the
sorts of problems under MCS that you're trying to solve with SCS.
The ones who are causing the bad things that you're trying to make
go away primarily have 2 accounts anyway, so SCS isn't stopping
them.