Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Mon Jan 6 23:22:10 CET 2003

[ Amanda Walker ]

> I don't think that roleplaying per se is a necessary aspect of
> immersion, engagement, etc.  I think this is best illustrated by
> the current crop of popular MMOGs.  In years of playing AC, and
> months of playing EQ and AO, I have literally never run into
> in-game roleplaying (beyond the game mechanics).  Not once.  It
> seems pretty clear to me that whatever people are finding engaging
> about MMOGs, it doesn't seem to be the opportunity for roleplay
> per se.

I absolutely agree about the non-essential nature of roleplaying,
but it's a valid playstyle and should be supported/promoted in
parallel with others.

Interestingly enough, I *have* run into a roleplayer while playing
EQ.  This cheerful player stepped forward and gave me a proper "Hail
and well met!" in pursuit of a wizardly teleport. Even though I'm
not a roleplayer, I obliged the fellow and stayed in character for
the duration of our transaction. I even threw in some warnings about
the nefarious nature of nearby vendors for good measure. =)

RP is quite satisfying...in small doses.

Don't tell Tresca I said so. ;)

-Marc