Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM(wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Tue Jan 7 08:53:52 CET 2003

On Jan 06, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> My definition of "compete", in this case, is "perceive myself as
> making adequate progress". When I look at the rest of the game, do
> I see that enough other people are at about the same level I am?
> Do I have an adequate number of peers, with whom I could adventure
> or (in a PvP scenario) duel? Do I feel that I am a *part* of this
> game, or am I just sitting here looking at thousands of people who
> undoubtedly think I'm a loser?

In addition to keeping one's loser-quotient in the safe range, I
think it's also common that people feel they're missing out on
content if they haven't been able to level up to whatever point the
game maintainers are producing updates for.

I never got to see most of AC1's content (Badlands, for example)
because I didn't put in enough hours to level to that point -- and
it certainly felt like I put in a lot of hours, relative to non-MMO
games!

Mike