Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Wed Jan 8 19:38:15 CET 2003

From: "Paul Schwanz" <pschwanz at comcast.net>
> "Koster, Raph" wrote:

>>   a mud without a treadmill will fail

> Why?

> To me, treadmills speak of futility.  That is, you are constantly
> exerting yourself but never get anywhere.  I might be able to
> accept that a mud without a journey will fail, but I'd really like
> to understand why a treadmill is essential to a mud's success.  Or
> do you simply mean that we don't have the resources or content to
> give players a decent journey and must settle for treadmills as
> this point in mud evolution?

On the flip side, treadmills mean that the player always has a goal
that he can work towards, and feel some accomplishment for. Gaining
experience is an accomplishment. Making a new level, or increasing a
skill is an accomplishment. Treadmills means that something can
always be accomplished, and when it is, there's another goal further
away.

The treadmill thus also takes the place of an awful lot of other
types of content, such as places to explore, or quests to
complete. Treadmills don't consume content in the same way, since
they are often repetitive and irrespective of specific content.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com