Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComp lexities of MMOG Servers))

holding99 at mindspring.com holding99 at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 9 01:08:53 CET 2003

At 06:07 PM 1/8/2003 -0800, Koster, Raph wrote:
> From: Paul Schwanz

>> To me, treadmills speak of futility.  That is, you are constantly
>> exerting yourself but never get anywhere.

> Yes; providing a cumulative character model means that anyone with
> time and patience will climb to the top, but it ALSO means that
> the top is merely having gotten the whole crutch, so to speak. It
> does not speak to the gameplay along the way, nor does it speak to
> the end game when you have the whole crutch.

As an aside (and perhaps one that doesn't relate at all), my
graduate advisor once said, "Anyone can get a Ph.D. What keeps us
from being overwhelmed with doctorates is that most people don't
have the patience and perseverance to do everything necessary to get
one. Only those with _a lot_ dedication can add the letters after
their names."

So is getting an advanced degree another levelling treadmill?

T.H. Cooke, Ph.D.