[MUD-Dev] Whereabouts of 'Evil MUD Admin' Handbook

Jacob Cord jacobc at chiefarchitect.com
Thu Jan 9 14:38:26 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 20:27, Koster, Raph wrote:
> From: Jacob Cord

>> A long-time MUDding cow-orker of mine was telling me about an old
>> file about being an evil MUD admin.  I don't know what the name
>> of the file was, but he said it has been around a long
>> time. Methods such as avoiding full player wipes (and doing
>> random single player wipes instead) to avoid players complaining
>> too much were suggested.  It sounded really funny.

> BTW, this doc is not meant in jest, it's meant completely
> seriously. That's part of what I've been discussing with him...

Thanks Raph,

It was described to me as being funny, I was having the hardest time
finding it.  Thanks for pointing it out to me, and for the updated
link.

After reading it, it seems funny from an outsider's
perspective. Perhaps a bit mean in places from a player perpective
(eg the random player deletion or "decimation"), and spot on from an
Admin perspective.  I especially agree with the "Cheating" section,
specifically:

[quotes Michael Lawrie]
  I often find that giving people who know too much about the game
  for your liking a bit of power takes away their need to abuse the
  system and so everyone is happy.
[end quote]

Aside from that, he makes several other good points.  I'm glad I
finally got to read this.

Jacob Cord