[MUD-Dev] Whereabouts of 'Evil MUD Admin' Handbook

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 09:03:51 CET 2003

On 9th January 2003, Raph Koster wrote:

> He's recently revamped the official site where it is hosted, which
> is http://arch-wizard.com/.

Maybe I should send Lawrie a MUD1 sweatshirt, so he can ask Lara to
demonstrate the "majestic mountains" problem.

> BTW, this doc is not meant in jest, it's meant completely
> seriously. That's part of what I've been discussing with him...

It certainly reflected aspects of the way that MIST was run. Had it
been written about MUD1, it would have seemed like an ironic
commentary on how certain wizzes behaved. For MIST, well, the irony
is still there but closer to the truth.

I don't want to spoil Lawrie's fun or reputation here, but I feel
duty bound to point out that you're writing to someone about an
article they wrote that may be true or may be ironic, and in either
case you can't be sure whether their reply is true or ironic. There
are few Englishmen who, faced with questions from an earnest,
truth-seeking American, would be able to resist exploiting their
gullability and winding them up something rotten. I'm not saying
that Lawrie is doing this (as I haven't seen your correspondence),
but I'd just like to check that you have considered this as a
possibility.

> <EdNote: I've also (last night) mirrored all of lorry.org and
> arch-wizard.org in the mirror system at Kanga.Nu under:
> http://www.kanga.nu/mirrors/>

I trust you asked his permission first?

		Richard