Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Jan 10 23:10:55 CET 2003

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>
> From: Dave Rickey

>> If the structure is MCS, only one character is online at one
>> time, and offline characters do not affect the availability of
>> game resources for other characters

> This right here is an assumption. For example, it was untrue of
> UO. Players who were offline still affected the availability of
> game resources for players who were online, in the form of
> housing, objects loaded for houses, vendors, etc.

I know it's an assumption, that is why I stated it.  The extent to
which players could deny resources to others in UO *was* something
of a design flaw, wasn't it?  I'm not speaking of Housing so much as
the closed cycle resource loops, and the way the skill system
originally worked.  Simulated and artificial scarcity is at the core
of these games, but simulating the real thing *faithfully* sucks
rocks.

> In SWG, there is much, but much more of this sort of thing going
> on, because the crafting subgame has a lot in common with strategy
> games. Mines and factories are persistent objects, etc.

I think I understand what you mean, but it does not inherently
require the kind of database and overhead you seem to be saying
yours does.

>> Failure to scale is a design flaw, not a choice.

> Nobody's talking about failure to scale; it's really about the
> PRICE of scaling.

And you made a conscious choice on how expensive it was going to be.
When Oracle quoted *us* a price, we laughed and moved on.  Did you
not get the joke?

--Dave