Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

Damion Schubert damion at zenofdesign.com
Sat Jan 11 07:09:03 CET 2003

>From bhoyt47 at hotmail.com
> "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> wrote:

>> The question is how anyone without said skill finds a place for
>> themselves in the world.

> Who says that the two have to be mutually exclusive?  Why not have
> some character classes that are driven by player "skill" and
> others that are driven by "diligence?"

I'd argue that this already exists to some degree.  The Enchanter
class in EverQuest, for example, appears to be nearly worthless to
most people who read the spell list.  However, in the hands of a
player capable of strong tactical thinking, its probably one of the
most devastating classes available.

--d