Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Sat Jan 11 21:27:50 CET 2003

[ Marian Griffith ]

> You have to provide for it, true, but by giving as many strategies
> as possible the game remains more interesting in the long run, and
> the 'need' players feel to optimise their characters will lessen.
> Since the discussion was about SWG and that game has repeatedly
> stated that it will allow players to develop characters in
> different directions without penalty I feel that there is less of
> a reason to demand more than one character per player.  I also
> think that the 'retrain players out of the view of every game as a
> contest' remark is far more important.  Currently there is only
> one largish game that I know of that has a different paradigm than
> a combat-experience-level model. Sims online will be the second. I
> feel that it is time for a more varied approach.

Providing multiple paths for character individuation will lessen the
tendencies towards a "one size fits all" skill template, but success
depends on the diversity of alternatives. In any case it remains to
be seen if SWG will end up with a grand assortment of characters, or
if it will simply boil down to Jedi template, gunfighter template,
rogue template, smuggler template, etc.

I hope it's the former.

-Marc