Crafting Money (was: RE: [MUD-Dev] Star Wars Galaxies: 1 characte r per server)

Timothy Dang tdang at BPA.Arizona.EDU
Sun Jan 12 08:47:36 CET 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Damion Schubert wrote:

> I've frequently seen money replacements be used in dealings and
> barterings in online games.  Of notable example, when a bug made
> money in Meridian 59 as common as water, players seemed to switch
> (albeit almost unconsciously) to using Dark Angel Feathers for
> their interpersonal transactions.  The reasoning seemed to be
> three-fold.

Yep, I recall someone bringing up the DAF's before on this
list. It's another example where bugs determined the path of
currency, which makes it difficult to draw many conclusions. It does
show at least that a game's population is capable of coordinating on
a new currency, which is a cool thing to see on its own.