Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Jan 12 14:54:15 CET 2003

On Sun 12 Jan, Marc Fielding wrote:
> [ Marian Griffith ]

>> I am not sure if it is in the laws, or if it was discussed here
>> that it ought to be added.  Roleplaying does not mix well with
>> achievement oriented playing To the point that the second tends
>> to exclude the first.

> Which is why roleplayers may be best served by smaller, boutique
> games that cater to their needs and sensitivities.

That was the conclusion some here reached when the topic was last
discussed. Or rather not that the games had to be small, just mo- re
- discriminating - towards play style.

> Of course, the less orthodox roleplayers may be able to function
> quite well in a mass-market MMOG if they group with like minded
> players, keep to less populated areas, focus on PVE gameplay, and
> generally try to ignore that which isn't roleplaying.

My opinion is that it will not work well, if at all. You will run
into the tailor's dilemma for certain and most likely have to an-
swer to the stamp collector's dilemma as well.  Of course, I am open
to ideas that might solve these in a truly innovative game design.
However, from what I have seen so far it is not
forthcoming. Certainly not with Star Wars: Galaxies.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey