[MUD-Dev] RE: Treadmills vs. Skill (was re: Brand Loyalty...)

Brian Lindahl lindahlb at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 13 00:32:08 CET 2003

From: "Damion Schubert" <damion at zenofdesign.com>

> I'm actually very interested to see how Planetside solves the
> problem of what happens when you combine player skill and
> character skill.  Can a new player ever compete?  Can he be
> protected enough to not completely discourage him?  And will he
> persevere even if he initially loses a lot?

Just a quick two cents,

All of these questions are most likely heavily dependant on the
ratio of need for player skill to character skill. If Planetside
doesn't solve the problem adequately and it's userbase begins to
atrophy, it doesn't mean that a combination of the two won't
counteract this decay. It could mean that the ratio was leaning in
one direction too much and a ratio adjustment needs to take place to
maintain a steadily increasing userbase. Also, something to keep in
midn would be that, like most tradeoffs in the world (e.g. between
memory and speed optimization), the finely tuned ratio depends on
the project at hand.

Brian Lindahl
Development Director
The Cathyle Project