Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Jan 14 20:24:04 CET 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>

>> You just recreated the extremely successful Open Gaming License

> Actually, no. I was thinking of a formalised business structure
> where a franchise owner was more like a McDonald's owner than a
> Linux user. The server operator doesn't get to do whatever he
> likes on the server, he gets to set individual policies related to
> players -- just as the McDonald's owner gets to set policies
> related to customers, but must follow other policies related to
> the corporate structure and identity.

I can't recall the specifics of your original post, but you're
describing exactly what we've done with Achaea. We basically
franchised it out to Josh Olson to do Aetolia, and now we've
franchised it out again to Jeremy Saunders to do Imperian. Aetolia
and Imperian are owned by separate companies (separate from the
ownership of Achaea also, though Achaea LLC owns significant
portions in exchange for leasing out the IP for no up-front
costs). The accounting/money-stuff/legal-stuff and most of the
promotion for the games is handled by Achaea LLC, but all other
management of the game, from ongoing development to most policies is
set by the individual operator, who gets a very hefty portion of the
profits as well as a fluctuation base salary.

It's not exactly like a franchise, but it's fairly close to what
you're talking about, I think.

--matt