[MUD-Dev] Working with Franchises (was Star Wars Galaxies: 1 char per server)

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Wed Jan 15 10:27:13 CET 2003

On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 12:15  PM, Dave Rickey wrote:
> From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>

>> "Doing well" is subjective.  A game making a pile of money
>> doesn't mean it's a quality game worth playing.

> My paycheck says different.  Especially the part of it that comes
> directly from the profitability of the game.

You're using different yardsticks.  Aesthetic ("worth playing" as a
personal judgement) is subjective.  Profitability ("worth playing"
for a population as measured by their willingness to throw money at
you) is objective.  Both metrics are useful, they just measure
different things.

It could be argued that instant messaging systems (AIM, MSN, etc.)
are just MUDs with really, really boring settings.  Zero "game
value", much commercial success.

Amanda Walker