Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

Sasha Hart hart.s at attbi.com
Wed Jan 15 17:38:24 CET 2003

[Rayzam]

> Thus by a fun definition, a more advanced character should hav
> emore abilities than a less advanced character.

You don't get handicaps the longer you play chess. But it's still
fun (to some, anyway). Nowhere outside of this genre do I see
serious arguments that fun is necessarily and by its nature about
gaining new abilities. Yes, moving through different sets of
possibilities with different values over the course of a game seems
central to games.  No, that does not necessarily entail gains of
abilities.

2c.

Sasha