[MUD-Dev] re: there.com

susan wu susie at arctic.org
Wed Jan 15 23:05:04 CET 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Well, the pay-for-virtual-objects business model is a very good
> one (he says modestly). What they seem to be missing, however, is
> the idea that they have to create a context for the items to be
> valuable enough to make the business model more valuable than a
> standard monthly fee. A chat-room isn't that context.

Agreed: 'status symbol' objects in the real world (i.e. Nike
sneakers or Levis jeans) don't seem to have the same sort of
relevance in a virtual world.  I.e. where the objects aren't tied to
any greater purpose (i.e.  increased attractiveness to the opposite
sex).  I'm interested to see how There.com conveys status (and how
they define status) within their world.