Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM(wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

shren shren at io.com
Thu Jan 16 01:16:25 CET 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Eric Hu wrote:

> In the other hand, how could we prevent these Free Taster to abuse
> others? They have the Free, sweet power now. Shall we restrict
> these player to interaction with other normal players? Isn't it a
> MMORPG? Do they know what shall they do when grouping? Take
> EverQuest for example, any LV60 eBayed character is a walking
> death sentence stick to those who silly enough to group with him.

I hear this a lot, but I don't really believe it.  The people who
buy the level 60 characters are likely to drive them like rentals.
I don't see them necessarily wanting to compete at the same level
that the person who made the character competes - planes runs or
whatever the vernacular is.  They'll probably just explore and
socialize, like a dillante in a tank.

A person who buys a level 60 character is likely to do very
different things with it than someone who rents one - and probably
won't be spending too much time with level 60s.

Matter a fact, this is starting to sound rather tempting.  I can go
buy a level 60 to see the world of EQ, and most everything would be
cake so I can focus on seeing EQ for what it is.