Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComp lexities of MMOG Servers))

Ted L. Chen tedlchen at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 18 06:03:25 CET 2003

T.H. Cooke wrote:
> Robert Zubek wrote:

>> Ugh, how can game treadmills be anything but inconsequential?

> How can they be anything but not? I mean, there's a reason people
> are paying big bucks to play these games night after night after
> night. Something is motivating them.

Control of their immediate environment.  The number of variables
that can cause unpleasantness (such as a lowly field bunny killing
you) are reduced as you advance in any treadmill.

Control is a very enticing thing at any level of consequence.
Starbucks' gazillion choices of how to make coffee is the most
trivial example of them.  There, you choose your Tall Mocha
Cappuccino with Low-fat Whip cream and light on the Sugar just for
the simple purpose of reducing the variability of your early morning
riser.

TLC