Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sun Jan 19 17:39:00 CET 2003

Marc Fielding posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 2:33 AM

> It may "build character", but is it fun? SCS is an attempt to fix
> various (negligible) "abuses" of gameplay by a minority of players
> at the expense of a popular playstyle for a casual gamers.

Wow, here's a broom to go with your sweeping statement.  Can't argue
it because you didn't lay valid framework for that argument.

> MMOG games are about escapism. Yes, there need to be rules and
> restrictions, but playing it doesn't need to be *work*.

And by that logic, players shouldn't:

  - Die, because death is no fun.

  - Take damage, because nobody likes to get hurt.

  - Have to pay for anything, because the best things in life are
  free.

To quote the Matrix:

  "Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect
  human world? Where none suffered. Where everyone would be
  happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire
  crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming
  language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that as a
  species, human beings define their reality through misery and
  suffering. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive
  cerebrum kept trying to wake up from."

HORRIBLE TRUTH: Work is fun folks.  Not always the work itself.  But
the results.  Toil and you'll appreciate the efforts.

Want to create a happy game that gives you great rewards with little
effort?  No need, it's called Solitaire.

Want to create an immersive virtual universe?  Then pain and
suffering goes along with the kewl graphics and massive
environments.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
http://www.retromud.org/talien