Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComp lexities of MMOG Servers))

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Jan 20 12:27:19 CET 2003

From: Sasha Hart [mailto:hart.s at attbi.com]
> [Rayzam]

>> Thus by a fun definition, a more advanced character should hav
>> emore abilities than a less advanced character.

> You don't get handicaps the longer you play chess. But it's still
> fun (to some, anyway). Nowhere outside of this genre do I see
> serious arguments that fun is necessarily and by its nature about
> gaining new abilities. Yes, moving through different sets of
> possibilities with different values over the course of a game
> seems central to games.  No, that does not necessarily entail
> gains of abilities.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but that's because chess has deep
complexity derived on player skill. Most muds have broad but
incredibly shallow complexity. This gets us back to my argument that
there is a market for games requiring skill.

Oh well, maybe Planetside will innovate along that axis in the MMO
space. I hope so, because AC2 was a fine example of what happens
when you dumb things down even further just to cater for the
perceived mass market who allegedly lack any skill. Meanwhile, we'll
have to keep playing games where people 'between jobs' are king.

Dan