Sasha Hart hart.s at attbi.com
Wed Jan 22 03:53:14 CET 2003

[Rayzam]

> Now, the market for twinking was really big, as FASA
> [Battletech/Shadowrun] could attest to.

But, understanding Shadowrun's limitations as a twink game: oh my
god, what a totally fun twink game. Character generation by itself
was a GAME. Oh man.

Incidentally, I played the Shadowrun MUSHes maybe a couple years
ago, and they housed what I would call some of the best RP I've seen
in the format since DuneMUSH died. Combat took **FOREVER** to run,
but the games had real structure. And I found the chargen system to
be a fun game to run even when devising fallible, believable,
ordinary characters.

So I have to say I'm on the fence about this powergaming thing,
because the word is sometimes tied to good things (real structure
and game, lack of puritan work ethic applied to what oughtta be
PLAY, healthy lack of the nitpicking and social jockeying that are
so common as to be virtually unavoidable parts of roleplay) and to
bad (breaking setting, lack of cooperation, mindless juvenile pkill,
etc.).

Sasha

PS. The semi-anonymous player recommendation based experience system
might have helped, neh? But it's not like I thought it up, this kind
of approach is really taking off all over, for better and worse.