Random? Numbers (was:RE: Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Require ments for MM(wasComplexities of MMOG Servers)))

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Jan 22 18:23:36 CET 2003

From: Jeff Freeman [mailto:skeptack at antisocial.com]

> So instead of tracking skill usage and then trapping skill gain
> which is too rapid (due to greater than average usage) or too slow
> (due to fumbled skillchecks or 'casual play') [snip...]

This is completely tangential to your original point, but has anyone
considered making a 'fun' random number generator. As a first cut,
it might involve the following :

  - Prevent long streaks of critical failures.

  - Encourage streaks of critical success every so often (perhaps
  when their hp are low etc.) e.g. 3 critical hits landing in a row
  always feels good.

  - Most of the time get results vaguely in the middle of the range.

This would of course move the distribution into something a little
odd (and I don't think it could represent the streak intervention)
but it might well be fun.

Could even modify the tendency of the above factors to hidden
character bio-rhythms.

Dan