[MUD-Dev] Re: Brand Loyalty

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Wed Jan 22 18:36:03 CET 2003

From: "Damion Schubert" <damion at zenofdesign.com>
> From: Rayzam

>> Though it seems to say that one out of many possible solutions to
>> it is to remove powergaming. Then everyone can advance at the
>> same rate regardless of how well you optimize. That completely
>> negates player skill.

> Really?  If you guaruntee that everyone at the table has the same
> Magic deck, I'd argue that you've boosted the importance of
> knowing how to use those cards even more.  So I guess I'd say the
> opposite- equal characters makes player skill more important.  You
> just need an axis to compete on which isn't character growth (PvP,
> Realm battles, whatever).

Well, what I tried to describe above was difficult. When I say,
everyone advances at the same rate, I mean just that, simply.  If
you play 6 hours a day, or 1 hour a day, if you take the right
combos of abilities to kill things twice as fast or generalize more
and kill half as fast, whatever you do, i.e. really flatten out
everything, it completely negates player skill.

Imagine a game where you make a character on Day 1. You get 1 skill
point per day, regardless of how much you play that day, regardless
of what you do if you do play, regardless of whether you log in or
not. Characters progress by the passage of real time. In such a
game, there is no player skill component, becuase the rewards are
the same regardless.

Well, the extrinsic rewards at least. Such a system would remove
powergaming, but not one I think I'd really enjoy investing time
into. Key word is invest.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com