[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages and I/O Algorithms

Jo Dillon jo at groupinfo.com
Sat Jan 25 15:13:51 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 06:13:27PM -0500, Ben Chambers wrote:

> Which language is prefferred for mud design?  C/C++ provides speed
> but Java adds a lot of flexibility.  Furthermore how do most muds

Most new MUDs are written in C++, with some in Java. Most older MUDs
are in C. What sort of flexibility do you think Java adds, out of
curiosity? It does have the advantage of working out-of-the-box on
both Windows and Unix, and reflection might be handy to have, but I
can't think of anything else it has over plain C++.

A number of MUDs have their own virtual machines and programming
languages, which gives them most of the advantages of Java once the
base engine has been ported to a platform.

> handle incoming commands in order to minimize lag?  I was thinking
> some sort of queue sorted by criticality of the type of event, but
> then you have to pre-process all the events and sort the queue
> which then creates lag in the process.  What are some common
> solutions?

For a text MUD written mainly in C or C++, it usually doesn't
matter. Machines are fast enough to handle 50-100 players without
problems.