[MUD-Dev] Moral / legal responsibility of games

Ben Hoyt Ben.Hoyt at HorizonGOT.com
Mon Jan 27 10:22:27 CET 2003

Raph Koster wrote:

> After a fatal car accident involving a 23 year old white male, the
> general incidence of car crashes rises. In fact, the general
> incidence of FATAL car crashes rises. Most specifically, the
> incidence of fatal car crashes involving 23 year old white males
> rises. Speculation is that these "accidents" are actually suicides
> to some degree, because the fatality rate for these "imitative"
> crashes is in fact dramatically higher than the norm.

Raph, I find this statement fascinating, though somewhat difficult
to believe.  Do you have any sources to substantiate these claims?
I'd very much like to read about these studies.  Is there any
evidence that these incidences are increasing at a statistically
significant level?  Is there any evidence that the cause is, in
fact, suicidal?