[MUD-Dev] Looking for a GUI Mud Development program

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Jun 20 12:17:19 CEST 2003

Snicker Furfoot wrote:

> I once had the fortune of coding on a very simple in-game system
> in a Shadowrun-based DIKU mud.  Everything was menu-driven, and it
> made it very easy to code 99% of the "world", including mobs and
> objects.  I'm looking for something along the same lines,
> actually, I'd prefer a GUI if possible, that will allow me to
> build the world without manually writing every little piece of
> code.  A windows-compatible system would be best, especially if
> the mud was also windows-based, but if not, I have a linux box to
> run the mud on.

> I've looked at a few programs, but nothing seemed really
> functional, so I'm hoping to get some experienced input.

> The final goal (for the curious) is a pop-culture social mud with
> a low-user base.  I've had a lot of ideas that I just want to put
> in a game before my brain explodes ;)

You could check out http://www.scrymud.net/ if you want.  I used to
develop on this base, but some other folks are taking it forward
now.  It does have a java applet GUI that can drive the text-based
online builder (ie, you can have it both ways).

If you are a coder, you might could adapt it to work with other
systems, or at least use some of the ideas.  All the code is GPL
licensed.

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>