[MUD-Dev] Scripting languages

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Fri Jun 20 16:13:07 CEST 2003

David Smith writes:
> On Sun, 25 May 2003, Jason Murdick wrote:

> Has anyone else tried an approach to scripting using a game to
> database and interpretter to database interaction to expose
> game-state to the interpretter? Any interesting problems crop up
> if so?

If I understand your question correctly, you might want to take a
gander at Microsoft's scripting architecture.  It provides for an
arbitrary object model to be exposed to the scripting language.
That permits you to encapsulate whatever you care to in the form of
objects that the scripting language (ergo the programmer) can fiddle
with.  Javascript and VBScript are two languages implemented using
the scripting architecture.  I believe Python also has an
implementation, but my recollections are from a number of years ago.

This is a Windows-only implementation, but you may learn something
useful from the design/architecture.  Certainly Microsoft stuffs
scripting into a number of environments, and the folks who came up
with the architecture were
designing it for a wide range of uses.

JB