[MUD-Dev] Secondary characters as a mechanic

Russ Whiteman russw99 at swbell.net
Fri Jun 27 01:51:10 CEST 2003

From: "Adam" <adam at grexengine.com>

> Yeah, but although the WC series is "real-time" these days it has
> precious little to do with "strategy". If you've played the old

I used to make the same statement, until someone pointed out to me
the fact that RTS's are -all- strategy...you control what type of
units to build, where to build them, where to send them, etc.  What
is missing is -tactics-.  You have little to no effective control at
the level of the individual unit, you're almost completely dependent
on the unit to use its abilities effectively.  That's pretty damned
good illustration of the difference between strategy and tactics,
IMO.

Personally, I prefer a tactical game, but that's why I enjoyed XCom
and Jagged Alliance more than Warcraft.