[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Jun 27 10:38:55 CEST 2003

From: Paul Schwanz [mailto:pschwanz at comcast.net]
> Threshold RPG wrote:

>> I did not say that it is unrealistic to have in-game memorials to
>> people. I said it is inappropriate because people login to games
>> to get away from the real world.

>> You then countered that by saying "no, look at all the real world
>> memorials!". Well, that is a straw man argument.

> If people login to games to get away from the real world, is it
> then inappropriate to have a gravity concept in those games?

I think you are failing to discriminate between the migration of
concepts and of events. Gravity being the former, and a memorial to
real world death the latter.

I have no issue with having in game memorials to in game
deaths/events. In that instance it is a migrated concept, and not an
event.

Let me frame it another way. Properly immersing oneself in a virtual
world requires a fair degree of 'suspension of disbelief'. Every
time you remind people that it is game world, distinct to the real
one they inhabit, you shatter that carefully crafted illusion.

Furthermore, memorials to real world events are likely to show a
cultural bias that may well exclude foreigners. Terrorist or freedom
fighter - it's very subjective.

Dan