[MUD-Dev] MMORPG/MMOG P2P design

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Mon Mar 3 09:35:33 CET 2003

From: Felix A. Croes

> There is an implicit ownership of the player's character by the
> player who controls it,

Maybe to most, but I make a distinction between an avatar being
allocated to a player, and the avatar object being owned by the
player's node. In my book, 'ownership', whatever it is of, is
granted carefully (to the most appropriate node - which isn't
necessarily the player's node).  In any case, it wouldn't be that
difficult to create two objects the avatar's golem and the avatar's
power (if such were needed). One may require a more trusted
host/owner than the other.

> and ownership of a high-level character does not match a high
> level of trust in the game's P2P infrastructure.

The term 'high-level character' is full of MUD like overtones and
the way MUDs are designed.

Maybe I should leave the MUD-Dev list, but there's no other list I
know of where this kind of thing could be discussed. Unless anyone
here knows different?

> I accept that P2P systems will be more scalable than equivalent
> client-server ones, but I doubt that all of the latter can be
> replaced by the former.  Particularly MUDs.

Yep. I'm not really trying to convert MUDders, e.g. to say that
there's a better platform for MUDs. I'm saying there's a more
scalable platform for MMOGs.