[MUD-Dev] MMORPG/MMOG P2P design

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Thu Mar 6 09:00:53 CET 2003

From: lynx at lynx.purrsia.com

> Close the game, mark it as closed by someone with the authority to
> do so, and start a new game.  Easy.

That kind of authority is simply too dangerous.

What is far better is just to make a public announcement to all
players that there will be a new instance of the game (based on an
early snapshot) starting up on 'channel 42151453' or something like
that. The old instance (if no-one plays it anymore) will gradually
evaporate as it slowly gets flushed from caches due to expiry rules.

> I think the issue is more what we're envisioning when we say 'P2P
> MMOG'.  You're envisioning something far more like the Metaverse
> described in Snow Crash, I'm thinking of 'neighborhood shared
> worlds' where a bunch of people get together and say 'Let's put on
> a show!'

Yeah, I guess so.

> Certainly not, but you have to operate on a probabilistic system,
> given the odds of someone being on-line at any given time, and the
> demand for so and so piece of content, the content must be
> distributed to so many nodes times some safety margin to ensure
> its availability.

Yep, you do need to ensure availability. And yep, this does entail
duplication.