[MUD-Dev] MMORPG, buildings, is it bad to be just props?

Adam Burr burra at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Mar 11 19:35:57 CET 2003

Koster, Raph wrote:

> As a counterpoint to this whole debate, I'll add that this is all
> a matter of tradeoffs. For example, in UO we allowed everyone into
> every building.  And there was a contingent who found THAT to be
> very immersion-shattering, because they were wandering unmolested
> through people's houses.

On another hand, I considered that to be a staple of the Ultima
series, so I would have been disappointed had Ultima Online not
included it. So, tradeoffs to the tradeoffs, perhaps, and so on down
to the turtles.

And UO didn't really allow everyone into every building. I couldn't
go into Great Bob's house without permission, for instance. But this
reduces to something akin to nitpicking a nitpick, so I'll just
leave it there.

Adam Burr
Madman Across the Water - POL dev