[MUD-Dev] Fighting Lag

Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Thu Mar 20 10:24:38 CET 2003

On Mar 19, Nicolai Hansen wrote:
> Travis Nixon wrote:

>> It guarantees in-order delivery.  If you want guaranteed
>> delivery, but don't care if it comes in the same order that it
>> got sent, then TCP isn't such a great choice after all.

> UDP doesn't guarantee delivery at all and to my knowledge there is
> no transmission protocol that guarantees delivery without
> guaranteeing in-order delivery, too.

RDP[*] does, if you can find or build an implementation.  I think
Travis' point was that it can sometimes be useful to reimplement
only a portion of TCP, likely using UDP, because there are some
characteristics of TCP that are not only overkill, but can in fact
be counter to the goals of the communication layer for a game.  If
that's not his point, well, that's my point.

RakNet[**] also provides reliable datagram support, in addition to
distinct sequence streams, etc.  Pretty complete feature set,
judging from the page that's carefully constructed to demonstrate
that. =)

  [*] http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc908.html or other RFC mirrors.
  1151 updates it.

  [**] http://www.rakkarsoft.com/